Thursday, October 09, 2008

Say What?

Today is the first day of my Fall break. I hope to record some music that has been floating around in my head for some time now. I also plan to go to Yokohama on Friday and Tokyo on Monday.
In six months I will be going back to the U.S.. It will be a different place for me but not too different. Not only will I be a different person but those around me will be different but not too different.
So what will I do when I get back? I must say that I'm not too sure about that. Education has been under attack from all fronts for some time now and I'm not confident that this attack will stop anytime soon. Most see "musical education" as redundant and it is also one of the first things cut from the budget of most schools. Besides I don't want to try to make Pop Stars out of anyone. Because when it comes to music that is what most young people care about. It's always "so and so didn't know how to read music so why do I?" I say because "so and so can write hit songs and I can't teach you how to write hit songs. If I could I would not be teaching you at this school. As far as I know there is no one out there that can teach you how to write a Hit song. I can show you how to write a song but for it to be a hit is not up to you or me.
Let me make this clear, you don't have to know how to read music to be a good musician, but as a music teacher it would be a disservice to you if I didn't teach you it. Or maybe I should leave a good music education to the elite class like "back in the good old days."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home